While we are still waiting for that magic pill for weight loss to be developed, lets talk about a tasty and refreshing fruit that you can add to your day to help you lose weight....... the humble grapefruit!
This post will summarise this article: https://draxe.com/grapefruit-benefits-weight-loss/
Without spending too much time on the science here is a brief background on the link between grapefruit and weight loss. Grapefruit contains an organic compound called nootkatone which activates the enzyme AMPK (AMP-activated Protein Kinase). When activated this enzyme causes the body to burn glucose and fat stores for energy. This is the same process that occurs during exercise to create energy to fuel the muscles.
In a human study it was discovered that consuming grapefruit in juice, whole or capsule form before meals resulted in significantly more weight loss compared to those who did not consume grapefruit. Grapefruit was also seen to improve insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.
What else can grapefruit do for you?
- Reduce cellulite (use grapefruit essential oil on your skin)
- Boost immunity
- Provide anti-aging benefits for the skin
- Reduce inflammation
- Just eat it whole! Cut a grapefruit in half and eat it before your meals.
- Get juicing! Why not make some fresh grapefruit juice at home. Drink on an empty stomach in the morning for a wake up call.
- Squeeze some grapefruit juice into your water along with other fruits & mint for natural vitamin water.
- Add a drop or 2 of high grade grapefruit essential oil to your body moisturiser. Focusing on areas with cellulite (even better with caffeine containing body moisturisers)
For more specialised and tailored dietary advice and guidance we recommend seeing a dietitian to get you on your way to losing weight and reaching your goals.
***Information presented in this post is general nutrition advice. Please see one of our Accredited Practising Dietitians (APD) for individualised dietary advice ..